This February marks two years since I fully immersed myself in the world of snail mail. I had always been letter writer. I had my first penpal at age 7 and wrote regularly throughout my teens and early twenties, but I came to realise somewhere in my late twenties that with most of my friends now back from Uni I was sending way less post and I missed it.
This is when I started to looking for pen pals and quickly discovered my timing couldn’t have been more perfect as February is International Correspondence Writing Month – InCoWriMo for short.
Now InCoWriMo is basically a challenge to send one piece of happy post a day, every day in February.
I fully embraced this challenge back in February in 2016 and wrote with great enthusiasm to friends old and new, not for a reply, but just for the joy of writing, creating and mailing.
InCoWriMo definitely rekindled my love of letter writing and all things postal and paved the way for finding new pen pal relationships.
Now two years later I have 9 pen pals around the world and 3 existing friends whom I exchange letters with on a regular basis.
Perhaps you want to up your snail mail game this InCoWriMo? Even if a piece of post every day feels a little too much you can still take part and set your own challenge.
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Send a simple postcard every day throughout February
- Send a letter each week in February
- Send some post to your family members who live far away
- Write a letter to a friend you’ve lost touch with
- Check out the letter requests on More Love Letters
- Get creative with your mail and try something new; lettering, doodling, typing, etc.
- Write a thank you note
- Write letters for a charity
- Send a care package to a friend at college
- Join the Letter Writers Alliance and sign up for a new pen pal
- Search Instagram for #penpalswanted
- Start Postcrossing
- Join us at our next letter writing social on Mon 5th, Feb.
A la perchoine,